Engineering
RSS
Home > Engineering Branches, Engineering Colleges & Universities, Long Term Guidance from Experts, News > Emerging Career Opportunities in IT in India – IT Industry Expectations – Tips for engineering students

Emerging Career Opportunities in IT in India – IT Industry Expectations – Tips for engineering students

January 16th, 2015 Leave a comment Go to comments


Emerging Career Opportunities in (Information Technology) IT in India –  IT Industry Expectations – Tips for engineering students

Information Technology had been one of the key economy booster in India in the last 3 decades, IT was contributing 50% of the share in India’s GDP where as manufacturing, agriculture were contributing 20% and 15% respectively. In the financial year 2013-14 Indian IT/ITES industry was one of the largest employer with 2.2 million engineers directly and 8 millions indirectly by generating a revenue of 125 Billion US$. There is an estimation that Indian IT industry will be earning 250 billion US$ by 2020. Here the challenge is not about the employment but its all about the employability of our engineers.

India has 1.7 million engineering seats as of now (Till date) but only 20% of them are employable as per the NASSCOM reports. Remaining 80% of the engineers coming out of the Colleges every year are not getting jobs in IT. The “Make in India” campaign which was proposed by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi is giving thrust to Information Technology and manufacturing sector.

Industry Expectations for the engineering students :

• Consistency in their academic performance from year 1 to year 4 (minimum of 65%)
• They should not have backlogs in any year
• Working on mini projects from the 2nd year 2nd semester will help the students in understanding the application of the theoretical knowledge in real time practice
• Certification courses will be helpful
• Should be good at Aptitude skills – Quantitative, Logical and reasoning
• Ability learn new and emerging technologies
• To expose yourself in group one must participate in Group discussions, JAM sessions and Debates
• Participate in the coding contests like Microsoft hackon, Infosys Aspiration 2020 and others which will help you in understanding the competition and our caliber



  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.