AICTE Approval Process hand book : New Guidelines for setting up an Engineering college
Establishing an Engineering college will be a bit tough task for the managements in the academic year 2013-14. Previously Engineering colleges were functioning with minimal faculty or inadequate infrastructure.
Some Guidelines for setting up an Engineering college are :
• College can be run by registered trusts/societies/companies that own land or have leased it for 30 years
• 2.5 acres of land in urban areas and 10 acres in rural areas is necessary to begin the institution
• Syllabus must be approved by the registrar of the affiliating university
• At least Rs. 1 Crore must be furnished as proof of operational expenses
• Every classroom must have a minimum of 66 square meter of carpet space and every library, 400 sq.m.
Source : AICTE Approval Process hand book (2013-2014) and the News in Hindu Magazine regarding the New Guidelines for setting up an Engineering college